Thursday, April 2, 2020



Substitution


substitution. n. “the replacement of one thing with another. In psychoanalytic theory, it denotes the replacement of unacceptable emotions or unattainable goals with alternative feelings or achievable aims.” Psychology Dictionary on line.

Walking has become my new ice cream. As I can no longer order it from Ralph's because it would melt before it would be delivered, I now find that my morning walks make a great new feeling of reward and it is not fattening. Further, the benefits are many, exercising my old bones more makes me feel energetic and lifts my emotional spirits in a way that Netflix cannot do. Do I still long for a dish of “Haagen-Das Dulce de Leche” ? You bet I do. Will it be a reality for the for seeable future ? questionable.

This morning it was very windy in Oceanside and in the San Luis Rey Valley, the wind whistles down the river bed like a fright train. Chasing away the foggy overcast, the day will be bright and sunny decorated with our neighborhood gardens and filled with the songs of the mocking birds.

I met new fur friends, Sadie the Shepherd mix who is gorgeous beyond belief, , Hazel the boxer, and Callie, our HOA president's pup.

Walking up the Hill for a change, I came upon a Giant Bird of Paradise. I have two in my backyard and it took 5 years before they had a bloom. The blooms are white and blue, huge in structure, they seem like something out of a Brazilian jungle.






Strolling down the hill once more, I came upon a Blue Angel. No, not the kind that fly jets, it was a small ceramic sculpture perched upon a wall. It seemed like a sweet reminder of how we can remember the abstract wonders of belief and faith.
Now back at home, I think that maybe an evening stroll might make a interesting substitute for my usual glass of great red wine... still...  
View from the Deck summer 2019



4 comments:

  1. Love those 3 pups! So cute! And, yes, the yards are filled with many visuals--blue angels, wow! Thanks for sharing, Ruthie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures Ruthie! I'm enjoying your journeys through the neighborhood. Do you ever see cats?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many cute dogs! I tried to upload photos of my neighborhood today, but couldn't. I will put on your FB page instead.

    ReplyDelete