Thursday, April 9, 2020


On the Sea Wall at the Harbor Oceanside CA



I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face and a grey dawn breaking.”
"Sea-Fever" first appeared inSalt-Water BalladsMasefield'sfirst volume of poetry published in 1902

Replenishment

I must go down to the Sea Again” this is what I will do today. It has been since March 15th that the old Toyota has been fired up, and I fear that she will not start again if not driven for so very long. The Oceanside Pier is off limits, but the Sea is still there, I will park by the seaside, and go for a walk if permitted.
click on picture for wide format viewing
What is essential in this day of covid-19? For me, emotional balance was becoming more important and I really did need to be my Ocean self once again. On my ship of imagination I will sail across the Sea with this rainy day... 

Parking by the 333 Restaurant, and across the street rise the two giant hotels which have changed the fabric of our Pacific Street forever. The workers are there in the rain, talking and sawing something. I think that it would be dangerous in this weather, but there they are with the wind carrying the smell of sawdust. This is not the ocean scent I was dreaming of when I set off on this journey of replenishment.


Getting back in the car, I drove to the Harbor. The parking lots were closed of course, but I was living dangerously, and parked in a boat permit slot.
Walking across the street, starting to cross the sand to sit on the embankment of sand, I was met by the beach patrol. Handsome lads they were, and they said that I had to take my pictures from the sidewalk. “Not even if I hover?” I said. They laughed at me, wearing my Aussie hat, and said “No” not even that. So turning I started back to the side walk, and they went on, but stopped with brakes still on watching me. Guess they had experience with old ladies standing the rain wanting to take that perfect picture...

Going back to the Pacific Street above the strand much further south, I found the perfect place to soak up the day. Literally. Sitting there on a wet bench with the raindrops plopping on my hat.  Oh how beautiful it was, the sound, the salty air, the spray in my face, and the crashing waves below. Alive, I am...this is my kind of heaven, even though it is not mine. For now though, it is.
When I was 3 years old, my mother took me down to the Sea, and in my little rocking chair I would gaze out to the Summer Ocean, my introduction to Oceanside.

Going back home, I passed by Artists Alley, imbued with saturated colors only a day like this can bring to the eye. The Fountains of Civic Center were going full blast, and I wondered about what this must cost the City when it seemed so redundant.










Driving home, the memory feelings of the sand beneath my feet seemed travel up my entire person, leaving me with the wondrous sound of the Sea, energy unleashed and I was replenished at last...  


April 11,2020


Laurel Street Walker
Inspired by your wonderful blog "I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and sky..." I took my little camera with me on my morning walk. It was raining cats and dogs, the water was swirling down the road, and my pool is almost overflowing.... Here are some of the pics.”

















                                                                    

4 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, thank you for taking me on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for these Sea Musings! There is nothing as healing as the sea....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Langston Hughes.
    Let the rain kiss you
    Let the rain beat upon your head
    with silver liquid drops
    Let the rain sing you a lullaby
    My childhood rainy days were so special &
    joyful. I curled up with hot chocolate, my teddy & books.
    Without rain there would be no 🌈
    Hugs
    Tanya






    Sent from my iPhone

    ReplyDelete