Saturday, May 9, 2020



May Grey and June Gloom
Actinoform Clouds

These two ladies who make up our spring and early summer weather patterns have returned today with their usual impact of depressing emotional status. I have experienced these weather patterns for decades, and like clockwork they return year after year. The cloud cover is deep and lasts for hours if not the entire day. The Actinoform cloud can be 300 miles wide and for this reason, we cannot see the edges, so it is just the entire sky. This year, the first 8 days of May were sunny and joyfully warm. Hmmm...is this going to be the new normal with our planet's warming? I guess not, for today Miss Grey is back bringing the feeling of another day without the golden sunshine that is our San Diego promise.


Miss Scoschi doesn't seem concerned, she has spotted a rabbit on walk descending  the San Dimas hill. Energy streams from her little body, and little emotive sounds of hunting glee are her letting me know that if I did not have her on a leash, well, out of sight would she be. The rabbit escapes under a bush and dashes under a car out of sight. Scoschi undaunted struggles to climb the bank and attack the bush. Miss Grey seems unrelated Scoschi's emotional being for her instincts of the hunt are bred into her. Maybe this is the same mental need we have that the sun is bred into us for our daily energy lift. I know that seasonal affective disorder is an important recognized state which can cause depression. This usually happens in the short winter months, but for some, it can happen in the months of May and June.
The Blanket of Actinoform Cloud

My focus today is to keep up the daily routine of “the Walk”. The Walk has become an increasing need, for the isolation of our current social distancing is keeping us well, but the isolation does build up a tension of angst. The longer that this isolation continues, I believe that the walk will become exponentially important. The calming effect of the drumbeat of resounding footsteps is the sound of good health and body maintenance. As I look out at the San Luis Rey Valley smothered in it's grey blanket overhead, the day seems heavy and lacking in energy. 
July comes with Time 

The Good News... I have an energy charger with me in the form of a little Rat Terrier called Scoschi. She looks at me as if to say, why are we stopping, and why can't we find another rabbit ? I smile, and the smile generates the mental awakening that today is a gift of time and time is the most precious possession we have for our human existence.   



3 comments:

  1. I never thought of May and June being sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait for the sweet sunny days of July! Lovely writing Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So eloquent--"The longer that this isolation continues, I believe that the walk will become exponentially important." --Yes, so true --those weeks when I couldn't walk not to mention swim, I felt a real loss! Thank goodness for the little joyful pup!

    ReplyDelete