Saturday, May 2, 2020



At San Miguel Court overlooking the San Luis Rey Valley, and Scosche looking for a rabbit...

Butterscotch Walks
Scosche Joy

May I, 2020

When we moved back to Oceanside in 2009, my Beagle Buddy, Beaureguard was only 3 years old. We did morning power walks at 4:30 AM five days a week. The San Dimas Hill was not a problem then, and we had surprises of bunnies running across our path. This did present a huge challenge for me even then, for he at 30lbs had the strength of a little bulldozer on premium gas with after burners. He did pull me over one morning, and lucky was I not to break a leg. I lost my sweet Beau last December and these months following his passing left me bereft and a profound loss of joy for my morning expeditions.

Yesterday, I found Butterscotch. She is a very small Rat Terrier. About 12 pounds, she will not be a concern for my staying upright on the morning walks.
Butterscotch

Hmmm... about the name Butterscotch. She is a princess, tiny little feet, big brown eyes, one ear up, one ear down a little, and a white vest for her Sunday best look. Scosche will be my love name for her, it's short and she comes prancing to me. Scosche means little...she is every inch a little joy. I think she might be a purebred, but with the one ear not standing upright, not good for show. I rescued her from the Oceanside Humane location, and brought her home, she is my new walking buddy and so much more. Love streams from her small body, and energy beams to my old self reviving my spirits to be a hopeful person once again.

Dog walking has many advantages. You meet new people, your dog gets to socialize, there is no timeline for fitness walking, and the energy melds between you and the pup and the stepping out seems to be easier and happier. When Beau was older, I did two walks. One for his outing adventures were start and stops, and one for my fitness training. I think that this program is one that will be revived for, my little Butterscotch Princess does take her time, and there are many stops along the way. I will try her on the morning power walk to see if she can keep up, but she being only 1 year old, it might not be her game...

I have often wondered about the why a dog is part of my essential makeup to my inner world. Why is there such a comfort in the nearness of this warm loving being next to and beside me walking where ever that may be. Once upon a time, I journeyed to Northern California for three weeks in my Ford 150 Van. I took my German Shepherd with me, her name was Miss Waldo. For the many miles on this adventure, she would sit in the co-pilot seat next to me, watching the passing scenery, noticing the cows, and other farm life that I could not really pay attention to, for I was driving. She on the other hand let me know when there was something really important to stop and take in, and this was a benefit, for taking in the new, and unexplored was really the purpose of my trip. It was with a start one day, when I looked at her, and realized that she was a dog, for her presence had been one of a silent companionable conversation with a being of wonderment and understanding about our journey.

Loyalty and trust are two of our most wanted attributes in human relationships. They are the most difficult to find in our human connections. These inborn attributes in our dogs may be the source of our connection with our canine friends for it is unquestionable. It's just there. There is one other attribute that is for me the most important of all, and this is Joy. It greets us morning, noon and night when we call them, when we come home, and in response, they give us that look that shines in their eyes that says, I Love!  Unconditioned.

May 2, 2020 6:30 AM


We did brave the long walk this morning. She out paced me every step of the way. Prancing, dancing in the new morning, looking for rabbits, and ready for adventures in her new life at Rancho Hermosa.        
Home again ready to play 

1 comment:

  1. Butterscotch! She is pure joy! And, Miss Waldo! I'll never forget your visit with her to the Mansion in Piedmont--what a trip that was for you. And what a wonderful companion she was. Now, little Butterscotch is there with you and I couldn't be happier that she there taking these walks, power or not!

    ReplyDelete