Tuesday, April 21, 2020



Sculptures and Succulents



I see on my morning walks that many gardens have replaced the old floral plantings in a sustainable way for our climate of desert realities. For desert is where we dwell whether we wish it or not. Before our forefathers constructed dams to bring water to Southern California, the land was designated as: Desert. In geography, a desert is a landscape form or region that receives very little precipitation. Generally deserts are defined as areas that receive an average annual precipitation of less than 250 mm (10 inches).

The succulent gardens in Rancho Hermosa abound in these sculptural forms. My own front garden is not of this variety, and sorry I am for my beautiful rose trees are struggling to bud and thrive in the soil that is mostly sand. Planters are used in many of these gardens, and the watering is minimal.

The forms of these succulents are wondrous to behold. Amazing in their shapes,coloring, and size they are truly natures sculptures. Some, are medicinal. One day long ago working at the MC3 Foundry in LA, on a wax form for my first sculpture “Ocean One”, I spilled molten wax on my forearm.
Ocean One in Cardiff by the Sea 
Molten Wax is used in the hot casting of Bronze. As I was in instant pain and starting to pass out, the foundry wax expert working next to me ran over to the window where the small plants were growing on the windowsill. Running back to me as I was sinking to the floor, she broke open the plant leaf and squeezed the gel onto my arm. Instant relief. Wow, what a miracle was this small not too beautiful plant. I gazed in wonder at Marie and asked what kind of a plant this was. She explained that the foundry workers spilled molten wax on themselves from time to time and that is why they keep the little plants growing on the north windowsill.
Aloe Vera plant with red outline
There after, I too kept an Aloe Vera plant in my studio, for you never know when this miracle plant will be needed. For many years, I worked with Billy McClelland and his crew who helped me create my sculptures. Many sculptors of our area, The North County Sculptors Salon of which I'm a member, use this foundry today.

Getting back to the walk of today, I see these plants for possible medical use in the future. I hope that in the future, I too will translate my garden into a sustainable garden of delights and practical use. Meanwhile, I see the incredible shapes, colors, and forms as Natures Sculptures, beautiful beyond any of which a mere mortal could create.




2 comments:

  1. We have an aloe plant in our front yard. I'm not sure I'd be that quick to think of it. We worked in our garden today- lot's of weeding. I'll send you a photo soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, I note all the amazing succulent gardens in my neighborhood! I will send you a photo of one, RJJ, that looked like a Prehistoric Pink Claw! It must be at least 6 feet long and it sprouts out sideways. Astounding!

    ReplyDelete